Wednesday 22 July 2009

A meme

Last Sunday, delicate flower challenged us all to answer this questionnaire. So I will do so.

Blow me, then yorksnbeans twists it round another way. But it's getting late tonight and I can't think of six questions just now. I will ask one right at the end.

First, df:

What is your current obsession?
Blogging and Apollo 11.

What did you wear today?
The soles of my shoes with walking. The seat of my trousers by sitting down. The elbows of my shirt by leaning.

What’s for dinner?
Wednesday is curry night - chicken and lamb dopiaza, mushroom pakoras and onion bhajis. With naan bread, mint yogurt sauce, garlic dip and raw onion salad.

What would you eat for your last meal?
Chicken and lamb dopiaza, mushroom pakoras and onion bhajis...

What are you listening to right now?
The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe Podcast #207 - Jul 01 2009

Which language do you want to learn?
PHP-MYSQL

What do you love most about where you currently live?
The peace and quiet, being next to open fields, the view across the valley, the local shops 2mins walk away.

What style is your current home decorated in?
General random disorder. In the front room I have a big poster of Jim Morrison on one wall (No One Here Gets Out Alive), a print of William Blake's The Ancient of Days above the fireplace and a drawing of psilocybin mushrooms with a butterfly on the far wall.

If you were a time traveler what era would you live in?
All of them. Straight off, the origin of the Universe. Then I would go and see how the first stars and galaxies formed, later watch our Sun and the Planets develop. How did the Moon and the Earth come to be? After that I would go to the time of abiogenesis, then see how eukaryotic life came about, then find the distinctive point when plants and animals diverged. Watch evolution... Human development, our history...

OK, if not just NOW! Then Ancient Greece!

PS: I cannot foretell the future. Nor do I particularly wish journey there. It would be nice to know, but I'll simply wait and see what happens.

What is your favorite color?


What is your favorite piece of clothing in your own wardrobe?
Everything familiar and comfortable. See 'What did you wear' above.

What were you doing ten years ago?
Being depressed. Trying to recover from my marriage breakup.

If you had $300 now, what would you spend it on?
I would carefully invest it for my retirement.

When was the last time you cried?
I almost did a couple of days ago. Walking through Leeds for the bus after work and remembering parts of Pale Blue Dot:


What are your favorite films?
Brazil, 2001, LOTR, Highlander 1, Jason and the Argonauts (this list may change without notice).

Do you collect anything?
Empty beer bottles, stray cats (currently 2, one of each), stray people (currently 1, male, usually asleep on the couch with the cats), accolades (please).

What makes you follow a blog?
To try to learn from what that person is telling me, in a way I might understand, which is interesting to me and not always serious. (ie I don't really know)

What was the most enjoyable thing you did today?
Laugh my arse off listening to Steve, the singer in our band, tell me of his return flight from holiday last weekend. When one of the plane's engines caught on fire... No joke! But Steve is such a natural story teller he should be a stand up comedian not a singer.

And delicate flower's added question: What do you wish you could do better?
Home brew beer.

----------------------

Now on to Ys&Bs questions:

1.) Are you wearing undies right now? Yes, Y-fronts.

2.) When was the last time you combed your hair? Years ago. I use a brush.

3.) When was the last time you shaved something on your body? Early November 1997. I had my beard shaved in public to raise money for Children in Need (got £600).

4.) Did you ever wear braces on your teeth? No.

5.) What time do you normally go to bed? It depends on how tired I feel. It varies all the time from 9:30pm to the wee small hours.

6.) What are you listening to right now? The Archaeo News Podcast No. 139

----------------------

As promised here is my question for you all:

On a scale of 1 to 10. If you suddenly found yourself to have true psychic ability would you:
(1) selfishly use your ability to make loads of money?
(10) give your talents away for free to help others?

I would go for 7 or 8, a comfortable living for myself but try to be there when needed.

4 comments:

delicate flower said...

You just don't know how to do simple, do you?
Lots to digest.. First: Pale Blue Dot: I get it. wonderful at the close of a day where i've listened to health care debates and thought about the needs of others in the face of my smug and very comfortable life. Close to tears

Color: Blue. Love it. Love, absolutely love the Monty Python clips.

glad You're properly dressed.. great taste in food.

marriage breakups.. what a bitch, but we do find our way through, don't we.

As for the last challenge, I consider myself somewhat psychic, mostly intuition and empathy, so not the kind that would allow me to amass fortunes. But, I feel the pain of others and I work to help. I work in a helping profession (crisis services for crime victims) in my day job and as a caregiver for my ex-husband who is in a nursing home....in my personal life I try to offer a caring attitude, to listen, to support and to give charitably (trying to apologize for $300 shoe remark here).. but I realize there is much more to be done. I'd go with a 8.

yorksnbeans said...

I think I'd come in around 7. I've never been into making loads of money and I enjoy listening to and helping people.

Andy Holroyd said...

@df
Thank you for your kind words, you psychologist you.

Intuition and empathy (and stagecraft) is all these reputed psychics have. In most cases it's called cold reading.

And you are wrong about me not 'doing simple'. It's all you lot who 'do difficult'.

delicate flower said...

*You lot*?? who might that be? us women? I admit to making life difficult at times.. I try not to , but!