Thursday 18 June 2009

I'm going to the moon!

After all these years, I'm finally going to the Moon.

Yup, it's true. I lost my old ticket (see my Blog header) but last year I got a new one.


OK it's only my name which is going to the Moon, on a CD with a million other signatories, but that's enough. Dream fulfilled.


Right now the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) and the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) are poised atop an Atlas V rocket at Cape Canaveral.

Launch is set for 10pm UK time (5pm EDT) - wish me luck folks!

6 comments:

yorksnbeans said...

Please clarify...will this CD be left up on the moon with computer access for others to view when visiting?

Andy Holroyd said...

Sadly not. It just a PR stunt really. The CD full of names is aboard the LRO, which is an orbiting satellite not a lander. The main mission lasts one year with possible extensions up to four years max.

After that, all the fuel will have been used so the orbit will slowly decay and the craft will eventually crash onto the surface (or, as is more likely, it will be deliberately crashed).

I'll be there in spirit though, and the data and images should be amazing. Assuming all goes well with the launch I'll be writing more later :)

Duncanr said...

Don't forget to send us a postcard !!!

Duncanr said...

The lengths some people will go to - to avoid the Inland Revenue !!!

NobblySan said...

What do you mean, 'avoid them'?

I've heard they already have an office up there. They were most pissed off that Neil Armstrong was a Yank, and didn't have any UK earnings, when they grabbed him and gave him a tax return to fill in.

Andy Holroyd said...

Erm, did you note the date of Duncan's post Nobbly?