Monday 8 December 2008

Gilbert Murray - what a man

I had almost forgotten about Gilbert Murray till a chance conversation in the bar jiggled my memory.

Internationally famous Inventor, Professor of Economics, Retired Wing Commander, Aristocrat, Member of Parliament, Circus Ringmaster, Adult Video Director, Miller, Baker, Rubber Duck Maker; Gilbert Murray must push his balls around in a cart.

Who is this guy? Well...
Many of us will have had emails like this:

"I am Dr Charles Ijeoma, the Manager, Bills and Exchange at the Foreign Remittance Department of the AUDB Bank of Nigeria PLC and work with African Union Development Bank Plc (one of the African leading banks in the west coast). Here in this bank existed dormant account for the past five years which belong to one of our customers (Mr Andreas Schranner) who died along with his entire family of a wife and two children in July 31st 2000 in a plane crash."
Then they need to transfer large amounts of money out of their country into your personal bank account, or something similar. As the arrangements go ahead it always seems they need some legal fees, or a payment to release documents, or to pay a bribe, or for hospital fees and so the scam escalates. It's advance-fee fraud or 419 by the Criminal Code of Nigeria

Gilbert Murray in his many personas responded to some of these scammers, often over a time course of weeks and months. It's all online and he dances them a merry dance to utterly waste their time. There's a lot of great comedy here for those who have time to read. I recommend the first bust - The Inventor - to meet Gilbert and his adversaries.
-----------------------------
Gilbert, if ever you see this, thank you for making me laugh. I was a regular visitor while you were there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind comments about my website. I'm sorry that the Gypping in the Marsh chronicles had to come to an end, but life just got in the way. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed reading about Gilbert's exploits.

Kind regards,

"Gilbert Murray"

PS. Beaker sends his best.

Andy Holroyd said...

Gilbert

My good sir, I hoped you would get in touch because I have the stub of a raffle ticket with your name on it!

You are definitely a winner!!!

Please forward me you current address so I may arrange the transport of your substantial winnings. Reply within 5 days to qualify for a free 'teddybear key ring'.

And pass on to Beaker my high hopes for his survival, though not for his love life.

With the highest regards

Andy Holroyd