Sunday 19 October 2008

Nikon Small World 2008

Each year, photography and imaging giant Nikon holds a competition to find the best photograph taken using a microscope. the results are often stunning and hauntingly beautiful.

This year was no exception with first place going to Michael Stringer of Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex, UK for this view of the marine diatom Pleurosigma.

“My objective was to display diatoms in today’s modern style, through the careful application of colors,” said Mr. Stringer, “I couldn’t be more pleased that the Small World judges recognized the artistic vision in this image. I dedicate this award to the diatom and especially to my dear friend, Klaus Kemp, who in my opinion creates the most exquisite slides of these tiny bits of silica.”
I was also rather taken with the image in 20th place from Solvin Zankl of Kiel, Germany with this view of a Sergestes larva (deep-water decapod crustacean).

See all of this year's finalists at Nikon Small World 2008.

No comments: