Monday 29 September 2008

Colour perception

The Pooflinger has a great challenge for your colour/hue discrimination. Go visit and take the FM 100 Hue Test, arrange the coloured squares into smooth gradients from one side to the other. Low scores are good, zero is perfect.
I tried this on my LCD monitor at work (err, it was at lunchtime OK) and got:

  • Your score: 4
  • Gender: Male
  • Age range: 50-59
  • Best score for your gender and age range: 0
  • Highest score for your gender and age range: 1429
My problems were in a tight band in the greeny-blues.

Later on I tried again on my CRT monitor at home, after imbibing a couple of beers. I scored 16! Here are some screenshots of my second go.



My first result was like the left hand cluster of four. It just goes to show how our perception may change depending on circumstance.

Years ago I used to argue, no discuss, with my ex the colour scheme of our main room at home. We had dark burgundy red (IMHO) furniture with matching curtains and a carpet of browny/green leafy patterns on a dark red background. It looked very warm and comfortable and it was. It was somewhere to relax and just go Ahhhh!

She would insist that it was all dark pink... I could never get my head around that concept. Dark pink? Is this an oxymoron?

No comments: